ADVOCACY: K-3 Class Mandate Presentation
The North Carolina Legislature passed an unfunded K-3 class size mandate which will take full effect in 2018-2019. Unfortunately, there are many unintended consequences of an unfunded mandate that are going to impact the students and staff across NC, including at Brier Creek and in WCPSS.
- WCPSS would have to add more than 400 new teachers in grades K-3 next school year, according to school system estimates.
- Potential IMPACTS of the current legislation:
- Elimination of specials (art, music, and pe) classes putting experienced teachers out of work, while requiring the hiring of hundreds of new, and possibly inexperienced, elementary school teachers.
- 4th and 5th Grade classes and middle/ high school classes could have high numbers of students (40+).
- Classroom teachers could be required to teach mandated arts and music curriculum.
- Forced track reassignments.
- Classes meeting in non-traditional classrooms due to lack of adequate space in the schools.
- Loss of teacher assistants in lower grades.
- Click to read about potential impacts at Brier Creek Elementary
What is the Brier Creek PTA advocating for?
- Legislators to revert to the ORIGINAL HB13 bill which allows districs flexibility over class size and flexibility to fund current specialist teachers
- Legislators, especially NC Senate to ACT NOW during January special session
What can you do?
Contact members of the NC Senate Education Committee TODAY
Call, email, or write the NC Senate, focusing on the Senators leading the Education and Rules Committees, and encourage them to fix #ClassSizeChaos!
*Personal stories about how this legislation impacts you and your child are powerful when contacting legislators.*
The NC Senate goes back to session on January 10.
Who to contact?
David Curtis – Co-Chair of Education Comm: (919)715-3038, David.Curtis@ncleg.net, @DavidCurtisNC
Michael Lee – Co-Chair of Education Comm: (919)715-2525, Michael.Lee@ncleg.net, @LeeforNC
CLICK HERE to find your NC senator & representative